Joy Murao, Founder and CEO of Practice Aligned Resources, is recognized industry-wide as a leader in the litigation support industry. She brings decades of experience, having led some of the most well-respected global practice support groups, to her consulting practice. Blending education with technological agnosticism, Joy focuses on aligning people, process and technology to best fit her clients’ situations and find the right solution for their needs.
While Joy is best-known for her work supporting litigators and handling litigation matters around the world, her work with M&A and other transactional practice groups illustrates her creativity and leadership skills as a strategist, problem-solver and visionary. Her grasp of the power of technology, coupled with her dedication to client service, drives her to develop and implement innovative systems and strategies to revolutionize all practice areas. The solutions she devises result in more service and convenience for clients, while simultaneously achieving business efficiency. A decisive and passionate business leader,
Joy merges disparate technologies and personnel into team-centered business units. Her innate ability to foster interdepartmental collaboration and leverage joint ventures towards improved client opportunities and services helps her clients achieve their business goals.
- Paul Hastings LLP: 2011-2014
- Latham & Watkins LLP: 1998-2010
- Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO): 1996-1998
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP: 1994-1996
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & AWARD HIGHLIGHTS
- Relativity Innovation Awards: Stellar Women in E-Discovery 2018
- 100 Most Influential Filipina Women in the World Award (FWN Global 100) (2018) London, U.K.
- Filipina Leadership Global Summit (2018) Conference Panel (London, U.K.): Make Me a Filipina Millionaire
- PH Time is Now (2018): Reginald F. Lewis Entrepreneurship Panel (New York City): Setting Up Your Business for Success
- International Legal Technical Association (ILTA) (2018) Conference Panel (Maryland): eDiscovery Training Roadmap
- California Lawyers Association — Law Practice Management & Technology Executive Committee
- California Public Records & Open Meetings Conference (2018) Panel (Los Angeles): e-Discovery and Public Records Request
- OneLegal The State of Legal Support 2018 Conference Panel (Virtual Conference): Trending Legal Tech in 2018 and Beyond
- Los Angeles Paralegal Association – LAPA Tech 2.0 (2018): Keynote speaker
- San Diego County Bar Association (2018) Law + Technology Summit: Technology in Practice: Tools of the Trade
- California Alliance of Paralegal Associations (2018) GOAL Academy: Lean In series
- Women in eDiscovery (2017) Panel: (DC) How to Build an In-House Litigation Support Department; Speaker: (Denver & Los Angeles) Project Management Principles in Legal Project Management
- American Association for Paralegal Education (2017) Regional Conference, Oakland: Changing Times – Changing Environments: How to teach eDiscovery”
- Los Angeles Paralegal Association (2017) Career Conference: Alternative Careers
- ACEDS and Women in eDiscovery (2017): Honoree—Celebrating 10 Years of WiE & Women Who Have Pioneered eDiscovery
- The DAT File (2016) Podcast: A Podcast for People Who Kinda Love eDiscovery: An Interview with Joy Murao
- ILTA (2015 & 2016) Webinars: Using Legal Project Management in eDiscovery and Remote Collection: What, When and Why
- California Lutheran University (2014) Career Conference: Careers in Law
- West-Legal Works’ (2008) Conference: The View from the Front Lines: Words of Wisdom from the Folks Responsible for Electronic Discovery
- International Legal Technology Assoc. (2008) Conference, Dallas: Defining Practice Management Service Value and Offering
- Listed as Global Tech Leaders Top 100 (2007) Category: Strategic Management Tour de Force
- Lexis-Nexis & UBIC (2007) Conference, Tokyo, Japan: Using Technology in U.S. Litigation
- International Legal Technology Assoc. (2007) Conference, Orlando: Practice Management as a Business Unit to Measure Success
- Paralegal Managers’ Institute (2007) Conference, Los Angeles: Products Liability Litigation: Critical Legal and E-Discovery Topics
- LegalTech (2006, 2007, 2008 & 2011) New York & Los Angeles: speaking and moderator engagements – Government Investigations: Systems & Procedures; Government Investigations: Legal & Discovery Issues; Electronic Discovery Roundtable Discussion; Best Practices for Preparing and Supporting Your Depositions: Using the Right Tools and Methods; Transactional Support; Legal Project Management
- Professional Legal Trainers Group (2005) Meeting, New York: Practice Support: What’s Training Got to Do with It?
- Speaking engagements at vendor partners’ & sales conferences: iCONECT (2008) Partners Conference, Palm Springs; LiveNote- RealLegal (2005) Partners Conference, Las Vegas; Western Region Sales Meeting (2005) Santa Monica; LexisNexis (2004) National Sales Meeting, Orlando
- Integration of formal Project Management processes and training to Practice Support department.
- Transformed 5-member US team of overhead staff to a multimillion dollar profit center consisting of 50+ billable professionals worldwide.
- Service offering expansion – moving beyond Litigation to encompass Transactional, Healthcare, Intellectual Property, and other practice areas, as well as expanding service coverage beyond US offices to include EU, Asia and Middle East.
- Creator of in-house law firm technology road-show (2000-2011); started as local Practice Office showcase and became an integral part of bi-annual All Attorney and Partner meetings, as well as the All Paralegal Training Weekends.
- Led the strategic acquisition, implementation and development of Practice Support systems, both “off-the-shelf” products and in-house custom application development.
- Recipient of “Creativity Award for Above & Beyond” and the “MVP Award.” (1998).
- University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
Bachelor of Arts, English (1993)
- University of San Diego (USD)
Paralegal Certificate (1993)
- California Lawyers Association Law Practice Management & Technology Executive Committee Member (2018-2019)
- Women in eDiscovery (WiE) – Regional Director (2014 to present); Chapter Director (2013); Assistant Chapter Director (2012); Chapter Membership Director (2011)
- UCLA Extension (Paralegal Training Program, Certificate in Legal Technology) – Course Instructor for: Legal Technology, Legal Project Management, and Relativity (2012 to present)
- UCSD Extension – Legal Technology Management Certificate Program Advisor (2015)
- Relativity Users’ Group (Los Angeles) – Founding Steering Committee Member (2013 to present)
- tivity Academic Program—Instructor (2015 to present)
- Project Management Institute (PMI) – Member (2014 to present)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) – Member (2014 to present)
- International Legal Technology Association (ILTA) – Steering Committee and Founding Member of Practice Management Peer Group (2007 – 2008)
- Filipino American Chamber of Commerce of San Diego County – Board of Directors
- Filipina Women’s Network – Member (2018)
- Chi Delta Theta Alumnae Society – Founding Member (2011); Board of Directors (2011 to present)
- Chi Delta Theta Sorority – Founding Member of organization (1989); Secretary (1989); President (1990); President (1991); President (1992)– Organization now active at 7 colleges (UC Santa Barbara; Cal Poly San Luis Obispo; UC Davis; Cal State Long Beach, Loyola Marymount and UCLA)